Royal Cornwall Hospitals Charity (“we”) promises to respect any personal data you share with us, or that we get from other organisations and keep it safe. We aim to be clear when we collect your data and not do anything you wouldn’t reasonably expect.
Please be aware that this page only covers this website. For more information about the data we collect as an organisation, please see our Data Protection page.
How we collect your information
We collect information in the following ways:
- When you give it to us DIRECTLY – You may give us your information in order to sign up for one of our events, tell us your story, make a donation, or when you communicate with us.
- Third Party Organisations – Your information may be shared with us by independent event organisers, for fundraising sites like Just Giving or Virgin Money Giving but only if you have indicated you would like to support us.
- Information available publicly – This may include information found in places such as Companies House and information that has been published in articles/ newspapers.
What information do we collect about you?
This information will typically include your name, postal address, e-mail, telephone and your bank details if you are supporting us financially.
Where it is appropriate we may also ask for:
- Information relating to your health (for example if you are taking part in a high risk event)
- Why you have decided to donate to us. We will never make this question mandatory, and only want to know the answer if you are comfortable telling us.
Any email address data collected is never passed on to any third parties. If you do not wish to receive email newsletters from ourselves, please leave the “subscribe” option un-ticked when submitting any contact forms.
How we use your information
Developing a better understanding of our supporters through their personal data allows us to make better decisions, fundraise more efficiently and, ultimately, helps us to reach our goal of enabling care that goes above and beyond for the people of Cornwall.
We will mainly use your data to:
- Thank you for your donation.
- Administer your donation or support your fundraising, including processing gift aid.
- Keep a record of your relationship with us and record any contact that we have with you.
- Ensure we know how you prefer to be contacted.
- Provide you with the services, products or information you have requested.
- With your consent we will send you occasional information on the work of the charity, to ask for support or send information about fundraising
activities and events.
From May 2018, we will only send marketing communications to those that have explicitly stated that they are happy for us to do so via their preferred channel(s) (email, phone or post).
Our communications include information about our latest developments and fundraising activities and campaigns that may be of interest. If you would like to receive such communications but have not opted in please contact us on 01872 252858 or RCHT.Charity@nhs.net. If you no longer wish to hear from us then please just let us know, all of our communications will contain an easy way to change your preferences.
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, do not tick the box to indicate that you want your email address to be used by for email marketing purposes
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for email marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to the address given below or by emailing us
- We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so
If you wish at any time to withdraw your consent please contact us on 01872 252858 or email RCHT.Charity@nhs.net
You may request access to the information we hold about you, we will provide this within 30 days and at no cost. If you would like us to provide this please contact us on 01872 255014 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do note that if you do not allow us to collect or process the required personal information, or withdraw the consent to process the same for the required purposes, you may not be able to access or use the services for which your information was sought.
Accessing and updating your personal information
We really appreciate it if you let us know if your contact details change.
You have a right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you. If there are any discrepancies in the information we provide, please let us know and we will correct them.
How we keep your data safe and who has access
The security of your information is important to us and we will use reasonable security measures to prevent the loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration of your information under our control. Your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff, volunteers, and contractors. However, given the inherent risks, we cannot guarantee absolute security and consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk.
We will never sell or swap your personal details with other organisations for their marketing purposes. We may be required to disclose personal information if required to do so by law, for example for fraud prevention.
If we are using an external organisation to run an event on our behalf such as an overseas charity challenge, we would only pass on your contact details with your explicit consent and for that organisation to send you information relating to that event only. We will only ever share your data in other circumstances if we have your explicit and informed consent.
Third-party links and use of your information
Changes to this policy
Grievance / Data Protection Officer
If you have any queries or concerns about the processing of your information that is available with us, you may email us at RCHT.Charity@nhs.net. We will address your concerns in accordance with applicable law.
The appointed Data Protection Officer for the Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust is Mr Mark Scallan. PC.dp. PC.foi.
Page last reviewed: 17 April 2023